The Foth, and it needs a lot of restoration work, the focal plane shutter runs though, but the second blind has deteriorated to nothing, the tapes shot. The delayed action lever is missing, and a bit of leather on the top needs replacement.
Lens needs a clean, but no major scratches or missing elements, focus works as does the aperture. The shutter blinds need new silk rubberised cloth, I have the dimensions to work to.
In the meantime the Foth lens can be removed, only three screws, and tried out on the Olympus PM-1, via a Leica adaptor, taped on. The case needs a clean and polish.
That "bit of leather" has almost always presented me with problems. Short of finding a matching piece on a "parts" camera I could never find a satisfactory match. So I have several cameras that are awaiting grafts that may never come.
I once tried making matching artificial leather with Plasti Dip. I got a reasonably good match IN REVERSE. But I could not get a good positive copy. I also tried plaster of Paris. NDG. So I have left that trick to someone wiser than I.
Last Edit: Aug 7, 2014 3:41:25 GMT -5 by mickeyobe
Well I have opened up the body and got to the shutter, the second blind is simply not there nor any tapes, apart from a short scrap piece. The cloth is silk I think, very fine, under the .2mm thickness that Micro tools do as a spare, but that does not need coating, and there is just enough space to get thicker cloth in there. The timing mechanism is in full working order,as far as can be ascertained, without the second blind in place. I think I will make a set in ordinary silk, get it all to work and tested, and then make a set of black to match. I have the basic dimensions from the net.
In the meantime the lens is all cleaned now, and an adaptor made to fit the M4/3 Pm-1. First shots show promise for such an old lens.
Amazingly the missing delayed action lever has turned up, on the front porch, where it must have fallen from the package. I only spotted it in sweeping up the front, it stood out due to the nickel plate finish. I have re-attached it and the delay gearbox works, although needs a clean and lube. Some cloth on order for the shutter, and sourced some silk tape as well. In the meantime the lens can stay on the adaptor and used on the M4/3 Olympus.